Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Under the Knife

I made a decision back after my original lumpectomy that I wanted corrective cosmetic measures eventually. My surgeon still apologizes every time I see him but it was an aggressive tumour ; I don't fault him in the least.
I am a woman and I have my share of vanities. And though a caved-in breast isn't something that most anyone would see, I feel self-conscious when I wear anything low-cut or a bathing suit. I'm doing this for me - selfish but a harmless & healthy selfish. I still won't have a matching set - the initial surgery & radiation saw to that - but I will have a more "cosmetically pleasing result" as Dr. Stefanison calls it. The actual scars/battle marks won't bother me.
Not that this is going to be an easy row to hoe. After radiation I can't have a simple implant. I am going to have a DIEP flap reconstruction.
I will be going in on Monday, with an anticipated stay at Toronto General of 4-5 days followed by a couple of months off to recover. If you're in the Toronto area I'm totally counting in a smooth recovery and I would love knitterly company!!! I am not deluding myself about the pain and physio that will be involved but for me it's one small thing I can do to reclaim what Cancer thought it could take from me.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. Prayers for a speedy and minimally painful if non-painful recovery. I would LOVE to come and knit with you anytime my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking good thoughts during and after the procedure. Maybe we can get together one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do what you need to do. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:48 AM

    I'll be thinking of you. Hoping for a speedy recovery.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending loving and healing thoughts to you from San Francisco!

    ReplyDelete